Geranium is a small shrub or herbaceous plant of a genus that consists of cranesbill. It has been one of the most important raw materials in perfumery for centuries now. You might have heard a lot about geranium perfume but do you know what does geranium smell like?
Geranium or also known by its Latin name Pelargonium graveolens is a native plant of South Africa but was introduced in Europe around 1690. People love most of the geraniums for their beautiful flowers but they also appreciate geraniums a lot for their aromatic scents.
The colors of the geranium blooms vary from red, magenta, pink, violet, to purple. However, white and salmon geranium flowers are the most common among them.
What does geranium smell like?
When you crush the geranium leaf between your fingers, you experience citrus and fruity scents that have got a hint of spice and a rose smell as well just like orange blossom perfume. The geranium has got a very nostalgic scent just like rubbing furry leaves between your fingertips.
There are hundreds of species of geranium with scents that crave up many other plants. These plants include lemon, apple, orange, rose, camphor, pineapple, mint, citronella, and many more.
The most common type of geranium used in perfumery is Pelargonium graveolens or rose geranium. It gives a scent that is similar to rose but with an added twist of lemon and less powderiness.
Geranium essential oils originate from the steam distillation of Pelargonium graveolens leaves, a native plant of South Africa. It has been used as a beautifying agent since ancient Egyptian times. The geranium plant has highly versatile uses and can help in a number of ways to boost the appearance of hair and skin.
Geranium has great value in the perfumery industry due to its floral and sweet fragrance just like honey perfume. If you inhale the fragrance of geranium essential oil, then it will support your emotions by creating a grounding and calming effect. However, when you apply it to the body, it will promote the skin to look healthy and clear.
ROSE GERANIUM OIL VS GERANIUM OIL
Rose geranium oil and geranium oil both come from the same family of P. graveolens, however, the varieties are different. The rose geranium is derived from the plant with botanical name Pelargonium graveolens var. Roseum and the common or regular geranium is derived from Pelargonium graveolens. Both the oils have the same properties, however, people are more inclined towards the rose geranium for its fragrance.
GERANIUM OIL BENEFITS
- In order to enhance your daily skincare routine, inculcate geranium oil in it. To gain a healthy glow, use two to three drops of geranium essential oil on your face daily. It has been used to beautify the skin for centuries now and is a must-have in your skincare routine.
- Geranium essential is highly suitable for massages. If you need some grounding and calming effect on your emotions, then try geranium smell oil to massage your body. To enhance your massaging experience, you can add another essential oil such as lavender or bergamot oil.
- Adding geranium oil to your hair care routine will greatly help in transforming your hair. Your shampoo and conditioners might be good, but using geranium oil will add hair benefits, which is even better. Add a few drops of geranium essential oil to your shampoo and get radiant and healthy hair glow.
- We all go through the frustration and uneasy moments in our lives, isn’t it? Just take a few drops of geranium oil in your hands and rub it. Place your hands near your mouth and breathe slowly the geranium scent. While breathing the aroma of geranium oil, you will experience a calming and grounding it provides to your emotions.
- You can also enhance your craft skills by using geranium oil in making DIY Potpourri. All you need to do is gather some of your favorite species in a bowl and add drops of geranium and other essential oil of your choice. This homemade potpourri is great to add decor and constant pleasant fragrance to your room and bathrooms.
- The chemical components present in the geranium essential oil helps in repelling unwanted insects that wander in your house. Add drops of the oil into a cotton ball and place this ball where the insects are most likely to wander. You can also wear it while going into the garden to keep the insects away.
- To open your skin pores and renew it, aromatherapy steam facials are a great way. Make your own aromatherapy steam facial by adding geranium oil in it. The geranium oil present in your facial will help in beautifying and clearing your skin.
To sum up
Now that you all know what does geranium smell like, would you like to include its fragrance in your daily routine? It not only has a beautiful floral fragrance but also provides a lot of skin and hair benefits. Try the geranium oil if you haven’t already and let us know how you feel about it.